Step 1: Check the PlayStation Network Status and Call of Duty Status Pages
Check the PlayStation Network Status
page, as well as the Server Status of the Call of Duty game you are playing:Call of Duty: Advanced WarfareCall of Duty: GhostsCall of Duty: Black Ops IIStep 2: Improve your Home Network Quality
The quality of a home network will have the biggest impact on game connection. We suggest the following steps. Note that you can test your PlayStation Network connection
at any time.
- Be sure to restart your router. This will often solve the issue.
- Make sure you are playing the game using a wired Ethernet connection. Playing a game using a wireless connection is the primary cause of lag and connectivity issues. Wi-Fi has a wide variance in reliability and bandwidth, and can dramatically affect the quality of online gameplay. A wired connection will maintain the minimum bandwidth connection that is required for online gaming.
- Disable any firewall or security features on your router. See your router’s instruction manual or visit the router manufacturer’s website for more details.
- Enable Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) on your router. This will automatically route the correct data to the correct ports.
- Set port forwarding on your router to the IP address of your PlayStation. Call of Duty games use ports 36081, 3074, 3075, 3478 UDP (User Datagram Protocol) and ports 80, 81,443, 3074, 5223 TCP (Transmission Control Protocol.) How to forward ports.
- Place the IP address of your PlayStation into the DMZ of your router.
If the above steps improve your network connection to the game, you may want to assign a static IP address to your PlayStation within your home network. This will ensure that the configurations you made do not need to be repeated. Please note that Satellite, hot spot, and 3G/4G internet connections are not considered broadband and are not supported.Step 3: Change your Playlist Search Preferences
Test PlayStation Network Connection
- Select Search Preferences from the Playlists menu.
- Change the Connection Type from Best or Any to the recommended Normal setting.
- Sign in to the PlayStation Network.
- Select Settings and then select Network (PS4) or Network Settings (PS3).
- Select Test Internet Connection (PS4) or Internet Connection Test (PS3) and let the test run.
Find out more about connection tests on PlayStation 3
and PlayStation 4
.By clicking on any link to a third party site listed above, you acknowledge that Activision (1) is not the author of the site, nor a source, sponsor or endorser of the goods or services described therein, and (2) is not responsible for the content of the site, including if any information on the site leads to a product malfunction.