Get your hands on Blackout, Call of Duty: Black Ops 4's battle royale game mode. Blackout drops players on the largest maps in Call of Duty history immersed with fan-favorite weapons, perks, and characters from the Black Ops universe.
From April 2nd to April 30th, players on all platforms can experience Blackout for free.
How can I get the Blackout Free Access?
Follow the steps below for your platform.
- Go to the PlayStation Store.
- Search for Black Ops 4 and select the Black Ops 4 tile.
- Scroll down to and select the Blackout Free Access tile.
- Select Try Free Demo.
- Go to the Xbox Store.
- Search for and select Black Ops 4.
- Select the three dots (...) next to Buy Now.
- Select Free Trial.
- Select Install Trial.
- Log in to your Battle.net desktop app.
- If you don't have the Battle.net desktop app, you can download it here.
- Select Black Ops 4 from the list of games on the left.
- Select the Blackout Free Access tile, or select Try for Free.
Be sure to check out our breakdown of Blackout in Call of Duty: Black Ops 4.
1. What's included in the Blackout Free Access?
After downloading and installing Blackout Free Access from your platform's store, you'll be able to immediately play Blackout as Solo, Duos, or Quads. Since you'll be playing with the greater Call of Duty community, you'll not only be able to party up with friends playing Blackout Free Access, you'll also be able to party up with friends who already own Call of Duty: Black Ops 4.
PlayStation 4 players will have access to both the original Blackout map the new Alcatraz map starting on April 2, with other platforms to follow.
There are no limits on playtime or player progression during the duration of the free access period.
2. What's not included in the Blackout Free Access?
Along with Multiplayer and Zombies, Blackout Free Access players will not have access to any personalization including Paintshop and Emblem Editor, and will not have the ability to purchase or spend COD Points. Additionally, all free access players will have their Clan Tag set to FNG, which cannot be changed without purchase of the full game.
3. How will player progression and loot work in the Blackout Free Access?
Blackout Free Access players will earn Echelon Progression and unlock Tiers and loot through the Black Market, which will be banked but inaccessible within free access. However, if you upgrade to the full version of Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 (all platforms) or the Battle Edition of Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 (PC only), you'll immediately gain access to all the progression, loot, and rewards you’ve earned.
4. Is anything required to play the Blackout Free Access?
PlayStation 4 players will need PlayStation Plus, Xbox One players will need an Xbox Live Gold account, and PC players will need a Battle.net account.
5. Why can't I choose a character in Blackout?
Only the default Blackout characters are available in Blackout Free Access, and they will be chosen at random before each match. Character selection and customization will become available if you upgrade to the full version of Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 (all platforms) or the Battle Edition of Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 (PC only).