Updating Video Card Drivers on a PC
Question: I received an error message saying that my video card drivers are out of date. How can I update my drivers?
Answer: One of the first things you should do when a game is having problems is ensuring that your computer's drivers and operating system are up to date. Out-of-date drivers and operating systems can lead to several issues that can negatively affect game performance.
A few things to note:
- Even new computers can have out-of-date drivers and operating systems because updates are released routinely.
- Some games and programs might run fine on a system with old drivers, but outdated drivers can still create technical issues with specific games or programs.
How do I update my video card drivers?
- Press Windows + R.
- Type "DxDiag" and click OK.
- After the DirectX Diagnostic Tool loads, select the Display tab.
- The video card's name and manufacturer are listed in the Device section. The current driver version is listed in the Driver section.
- Visit the driver manufacturer's website to obtain the most up-to-date driver. Contact the driver manufacturer for assistance with updating the driver. If the computer is under warranty, contact the computer manufacturer.